7.02.2010

Mango Salsa Over Seared Halibut



Let me start off with a disclaimer that I am still trying to get the hang of filming, so excuse the fact that my head is cut off in some of the video!

We moved a few months ago and just a few weeks ago it was brought to my attention that we have a very fruitful mango tree in our backyard. Ever since this discovery, I have been thinking of different ways to incorporate mangoes into our meals. Now, most people do not have mango trees in their yards, so if you are purchasing mangoes at the grocery store look for mangoes that are soft to the touch, somewhat red in color, and that are oozing slightly at the top.

This dish epitomizes summer to me. It is so light and refreshing and is extremely versatile. When I first started cooking, I use to marinate fish in a very robust sauce, but as I got more comfortable in the kitchen, I realized that marinating fish in such a manner masked the beautiful taste it had to offer. A simple sprinkle of salt and pepper on each side of the fish, and a delicious topping, is all you need. Of course, you want to make sure that the fish you are purchasing is very fresh! Just ask the fish guy at your local grocery store, or fish market, and he will let you know what was freshly caught. And yes, I said caught! I try to purchase wild seafood whenever possible.

Mango Salsa

1 ripe mango (skinned and chopped finely)

1/4 red pepper (chopped finely)

3 green onions (light green parts only; chopped finely)

1/2 jalapeno (cut finely and seeded if you are sensitive to spicy food)

1 garlic clove (chopped finely)

juice of one lime

juice of half a lemon

1 tspn oregano

salt and pepper

12 ounces of white fish

Place all ingredients (except fish) into a bowl and stir well. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Cook fish to your liking and top with mango salsa!

Serves 2

2 comments:

Rebeckyruth said...

you pick out your mangoes like I pick out my men....haha

Unknown said...

Im gonna try this one too. I still have deep-frozen halibut from my trip to Alaska last year. I need to come by for dinner next time I'm down south!