11.20.2010

Change of heart

I have always been attracted to white cabinetry in a kitchen, but as of late, I have had a change of heart. We are talking a complete 180 degree change of heart to...black. Black?! I know. I can hardly believe it. I have, for as long as I can remember, known exactly what my dream kitchen would look like. White cabinets, dark counters, open shelving and some glass-front cabinets. Here are some samples of what I had in mind:

Coastal Living

This hits all my "white kitchen" requirements and then some. I especially love the hanging light fixtures and exposed beams. I am partial to drawer pulls, but I could let that slide.


Ikea

I do like butcher block and I love the exposed shelving. Not sure how I feel about the transition from back splash to wall though.

Jenna Lyons Kitchen

J. Crew's creative designers kitchen makes me question my kitchen aesthetic.

Gwyneth Paltrow, Hamptons Kitchen

This is the kitchen that turned my kitchen world upside down. Gwyneth Paltrow's kitchen in her Hampton home is a dream. The gray graphite cabinets, the white sky-high walls and white chandelier are sheer perfection. I think what appealed to me most about this kitchen was, that despite the dark cabinetry, it feels so airy and bright.

Nathan Edge White

This leads me to consider that maybe there is a happy medium, as seen in this white meets black kitchen. White cabinets, black island, shiny carrara marble counter tops and to top it all off, glossy espresso wood floors.


4 comments:

Rebeckyruth said...

I really like the grey...but I think it could be dated after a while. I do like the white look, especially for Florida...The black looks very French to me...
I am having this same problem...but with flooring...I have seen some beautiful grey flooring, but I can't see that far into the future to know whether it will last stylistically...I might end up going with a slight reddish brown with small streaks of a birch color in it...ugh~

Anonymous said...

I vote for Jenna Lyons Kitchen, I find it to be simple but also has a lot fun details that I totally dig. I like the exposed duct work and the the stainless steel backing against the stove. The black cabinets make the room pop. I could do some serious cooking and living in this space.

Jamie

Averill said...

I said (b), but I think what I really love is (d) both, like in that last kitchen! I love a high contrast kitchen and black cabinets with white countertops (either Carrera marble or a pure white silestone) is so fabulous. Maybe do some slate floors...


::sigh:: A girl can dream, yes?

Maris said...

Lovely blogg you have